Weighed, Measured, and Found Wanting

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?"

Quick movie trivia moment, do you know what movie this is from? It's from one of my all-time favorite movies. This quote is from the antagonist of the film, just as Satan is the antagonist of our lives, and we could easily hear this same quote from him at some point during our time in this life.

I would say, as of right now, I'm as close as I've ever been in my relationship with Jesus. We walk and talk together daily, and my soul is at peace, though life may be kicking up dust all around me, I know He is right here with me no matter how the enemy may try to tell me otherwise. I recently had a close friend of mine approach me with this one simple statement, "brother, your whole countenance has changed, you're always smiling," but it hasn't always been this way.

There was a time in my life where I was so consumed with my wants and desires that I pushed God so far away to the point He didn't even feel real to me anymore. I faced all of life's ups and downs alone, of course, I had my family and friends, but I was alone in my heart and never felt entirely sure of where my next step would lead. While in this backslid state, God gave the enemy permission to test the resolve of my heart and my faith. Let's examine this for a second, do you know that the enemy never pressures us unless God ordains it? Though God never left me, He stepped just far enough out of the way for me to collapse under the pressure of the life I was trying to lead on my own.

Ever the opportunist, Satan acted against me. Like a boxer being inspected for a fight, I was "weighed" and "measured" against the odds that I was facing, and with no surprise, I was "found wanting." I wasn't prepared to face this attack on who I was in Christ and completely fell short, just as one should expect when they face this life alone without having Jesus truly residing in their heart. Satan mopped the floor with my weak faith, and it was a first-round TKO.

I had faced this test and failed in my strength alone, but like a precious unrefined metal in the rough, through the heat of a trial by fire, God had forged the man I am today! The man that now seeks God's face over and above all the things this world can offer. In this broken place I was at, God came to me the very moment I spoke His name and hasn't left me yet, ever leading me to the preordained purpose He has for my life.

I want you to take a few minutes and examine your heart, your daily routines, your relationships (both personal and professional), your desires, and your needs. Once you have done this, ask yourself these two simple questions, was Jesus in there somewhere? If so, how close to the top of your priorities was He? If you are really honest with yourself, you know there is always room for improvement when it comes to the time you spend with Jesus. This time you spend with Him will prepare you for the heavyweight bout you are sure to face against the enemy, a fight for your very soul.

So when we find ourselves in that place where we are "found wanting," and Satan has us on the ropes of this fight called life, know that God is just one breath away! Call upon the name of The Lord our God, and without delay, He will meet us in the midst of our circumstances and deliver us from our ruin into the joy of serving His Holy purpose for our lives.

Did you figure out what movie I quoted? If not, it’s A Knight’s Tale, starring Heath Ledger. It’s a quirky comedy movie that is definitely worth the watch.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. (‭‭John‬ ‭10:10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬)

For You, O God, have tested us; You have refined us as silver is refined. (‭Psalms‬ ‭66:10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬)

The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth. (Psalms‬ ‭145:18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Direction

Purpose Driven Prayer

When I Found Jesus, No He Found Me!