Disappointment

Disappointment is something that touches all of us in some form or fashion throughout our lives. We can all sit back and recollect a time when we have faced disappointment, whether something as simple as losing an item or as complex as a friend who has betrayed our trust. I want to share an example that happened in the past concerning my wife and our 10-year-old daughter, who was only four at the time.

My wife and her father went on a unique father/daughter vacation to Colorado. Before her departure to return home, my wife decided to purchase a few keep-sakes to give to my daughter and me. One of the items that she brought back for our daughter was a snow globe. Granted, our daughter had seen snow globes before; this one was special because her mommy had been away for four days and I can only imagine how long this must have seemed in her mind (After her asking me at least 100 times how long will mommy be gone and is she coming back today?). As my wife presented the snow globe to our daughter, I could see her eyes light up with wonder and amazement to how the snow globe worked. 

She immediately brought it to me and wanted me to see her newest treasure! She repeatedly and enthusiastically thanked her mommy for what could only be the greatest present she had ever received. Not fully understanding how fragile this gift was, it slipped from her hands and shattered. She was absolutely devastated and nearly inconsolable. We could see the disappointment that was written all over her face, and my wife and I were absolutely heartbroken for her. We explained to her that accidents happen and that it was ok to be disappointed, but that she had to accept the loss and move forward. After our talk, she helped clean up the mess (except the glass of course), and my wife placed the entire snow globe in the trash, leaving the room.

I immediately proceeded to take the base of the snow globe and remove the remaining glass and cleaned it up. Even though the glass was broken, the base was still in pristine condition and still held the same sentimental value as before. I took the base to my daughter, and she happily took it from me and then turned to her mommy and apologized, in essence, repenting from her transgression, for breaking the snow globe and then she told her that she still loved the gift that her mommy had given to her. Even though she was disappointed, I knew that the love she had for her mommy, coupled with her mommy's love for her, would outweigh the disappointment and she would still cherish the gift if for no other reason than it was a gift given to her with her mommy's love.

I told this story because the actions of my daughter reminded me so much of the disappointment I've faced in my life from a significant mistake that I've made. In essence, God gave me the gift of a relationship with Jesus Christ. I knew the value and significance of this gift, and yet I dropped it and shattered my relationship with Christ. In my failure, I was nearly inconsolable and felt what was left of my gift was worthless, as did my daughter with her broken snow globe. I was so distressed and consumed with my circumstances that I could not see that all was not lost, but as I did with my daughter, my wife did with me.

She helped me see that my relationship with Jesus was not lost, that the sentimental value was the same as before, and that my love for Christ would only be met and embraced by Jesus' love for me. So I took and embraced the fact that no matter how broken my relationship with Jesus was, all I had to do was apologize, repent, pick up the relationship where the disappointment had taken place, and keep moving forward with my life. After I decided to do this, Jesus stepped in and took our relationship, removed the broken pieces, cleaned it up, and presented it back to me with His Love. I can honestly say that my relationship with Jesus is stronger than it has ever been, thus proving that when we go through trials as Christians, our relationship with Jesus Christ can only be strengthened if only we follow Him in faith.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9 NKJV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Direction

Purpose Driven Prayer

When I Found Jesus, No He Found Me!