Diet and Exercise

Half of the readers just cringed after reading the title. The other half probably perked up and said let's go. Which half do you fit into?

I fit into the group that cringed. It's not that I don't like exercise, I just never have the time, with church, kids, work, house and yard work, etc. Diet on the other hand, is not even in my daily vocabulary. I like food that tastes good more than losing weight as evidenced by my weight. I just "love" when I go to the doctor and have to weigh in for the nurse and she says I don't look that heavy and that I carry it well. What does that mean? Is that just an indirect way of saying your fat? I'm literally laughing out loud as I write this.

I'm by no means an expert of nutrition and exercise, but what if I told you that I have a diet and exercise regiment that only takes two days a week, allows you to eat and do as you please the other five days and is guaranteed to have you in the best shape of your life? Many of us would be like, let's do it, many of us would laugh and say there's no way and that would work. Real results only come when we change our entire lifestyle, not just working at it two days a week.

We know enough about being healthy to realize that two days a week just won't cut it for our physical health. So why do we believe that two days a week or even one day a week, is enough to maintain our spiritual health?

Our spiritual relationship with Christ needs the proper diet and exercise to stay strong and healthy and we can't get this in just two days at church, this needs to be a complete lifestyle change that encompasses every day of our lives. There is no doubt, going to church and gathering with other believers to worship God is awesome, and being fed God's Word by our sold-out Pastor helps to refuel our spirits, but this isn't enough on its own! We must dedicate our very existence to further our walk with Christ and grow ever closer to Him. In doing this we are allowing ourselves to be ready for God to use us at any given moment.

Our spiritual diet must consist of God's Holy Word. Always remember that the enemy knows God's word better than we do and will use it against us if the opportunity avails itself. Every day we must immerse ourselves in scripture, hiding it in our hearts, giving us strength and wisdom to face this crazy world that we live in.

Our spiritual exercise can consist of prayer, praise and worship, and faith. Exercising prayer strengthens our personal connection with Christ and is the most powerful tool He has equipped us with, in this life. Prayer allows us to commune with our Heavenly Father, having the chance to intercede not only for our needs but for others in need as well. When exercising praise and worship to God, we are further strengthening our bond with God and relieving the stresses of our daily struggles, as the Holy Spirit fills our soul with God's peace and love. Exercising faith is when we fully trust in God. In turn, faith is strengthened when we completely give into God's will and He works in our lives in such a way that it can only be contributed to His Devine intervention.

These are just a few of the most important things I feel we need to not only include in our daily routines but to intertwine them into the very fabric of who we are as Christians. In this day and time, we need to nurture our spiritual health more than ever before so that we can finish the race strong, and one day see our Savior's face.

Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. (‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:11‬ ‭NKJV‬‬)

My dear friend, I pray that everything may go well with you and that you may be in good health—as I know you are well in spirit. (3 John‬ ‭1:2‬ ‭GNT‬‬)

Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is valuable in every way, because it promises life both for the present and for the future. (‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭GNT‬‬)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Direction

Purpose Driven Prayer

When I Found Jesus, No He Found Me!